Makara Sankranti or Maghi, is a festival day in the Hindu calendar, dedicated to the deity Surya. It is observed each year in January. It marks the first day of the sun's transit into the.Makara, marking the end of the month with the winter solstice and the start of longer days.
Makara Sankranti is regarded as important for spiritual practices and accordingly, people take a holy dip in rivers, especially Ganga, Yamuna, Godavari, Krishna and Kaveri.
This festival is dedicated to the Hindu religious sun god Surya. This significance of Surya is traceable to the Vedic texts, particularly the Gayatri Mantra, a sacred hymn of Hinduism found in its scripture named the Rigveda. The festival also marks the beginning of a six-month auspicious period for Hindus known as Uttarayana.
- Date: January 14 2023
- Also Called: Magha, Mela, Maghi, Bhogi
- Significance: Festival of Harvest, welcome longer days, sun worship
- Type: Religious & Cultural
- Celebrations: Kite flying, bonfires, fairs, surya puja in river, feast, arts, dance, socialization
- Observed By: Hindus and other people
- Religious Type: Hinduism